Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

19 Jul 2012

Does another pregnancy help the grief?

No, it doesn't.
It adds another layer of feelings, emotions, fears and hopes to the existing grief.

I thought long and hard about this question, it seems we all want Wiggles to "fix" the pain of Amelia's death. Well, no-one can do it, not even her sibling.

To say Yes would be so easy. Fixed, done. Just get pregnant and all will be good again. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

The first three months were hell: the chances of miscarriage are so high I was sure it was going to be me, I mean I was 1 in a 1000 before, why would I be spared this time. I silently hoped and prayed, but didn't really expect any miracles. Most of the time I was unable to function, my fear was mind grappling. I lost weight and was just so sad inside, so scared to dream.

When the second trimester came, I finally felt like I could breathe just for a little bit. And the next day we had The Scare. I won't go into details, but just as I felt safe, I started bleeding. I was fourteen weeks. Things were in slow motion again. Even though everything turned out to be fine this time, I still worry every day. Today I'm pregnant and for that I'm grateful. But it's hard to expect a living baby at the end.

With some smart advice from a fellow mamas, I began bonding with Wiggles. This child of mine is so loved and wanted. Yet I am very painfully aware that he or she will too have to die one day. My only wish is that it happens when I'm already with Amelia. You see, this is what sets me apart from other pregnant women. I don't have that naive happiness anymore and they know it.

This pregnancy is also raising a lot of things that I either forgot, or chose to forget, about Amelia's pregnancy, death, and birth. The pregnancies are different and that's sad for some reason, yet I'm glad that they are. I wonder what will it be like giving birth to this baby: will he or she be alive? Will I be sad? How am I going to get through it? At this point in my pregnancy, the baby will be born, dead or alive. At this point, my dear husband is preparing what we are going to do in case we have another death. We are not sure how to prepare for life. When we prepared for life before, we got death.

And this really hurts, because in all this, we are so acutely aware that our sixteen-month old baby girl should be running around the house, but she is not. She never will. Yet we want it so badly...

If Wiggles lives, all the firsts will be experienced with our second child. So, while this pregnancy gives us hope, it brings up a lot of fear, grief, and sadness. The only dream for Wiggles is the biggest gift there is: Life.

1 comment:

  1. Your husband sent me the link to your blog after he followed me on twitter.

    You are slightly ahead of me in terms of when you lost, and I ask myself the question all of the time if getting pregnant will help with my grief.

    I lost my son just over 4 months ago. He was my first born. To say there is a hole in my life doesn't do the way I feel justice. Not only am I grieving the death of my son, I am grieving the loss of a chance to me a mother and to have the family that I so wanted. I am still a mother, yes, but not in the way I expected.

    It's so easy to want to just get pregnant again, but I am trying to wait until my head is in a slightly better place. I know that if I have a take home baby, it will help to fill the emptiness in my arms, but it will never replace or take away the loss I feel for my first born child.

    I hope that everything you are experiencing at the moment is worth it in the end, and that you will get to bring Wiggles home with you.

    Lisa
    http://dear-finley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete